I've always had a certain love hate relationship with takeout. I love the convenience and the fact that when I just don't feel like cooking, strangers will bring food directly to my door in exchange for money. On the negative side of the equation is the fact that I'm not always sure what the person on the other end of the phone is thinking when they are taking my order, which can lead to bouts of self-doubt and confusion. Oh yes, the world of fast food delivery is fraught with peril!
Case in point. I tend to order from the same little Greek restaurant on a regular basis. Simple enough setup. They have 10 "student specials" so you don't even really need to remember anything more than a number. Really, you can't get much simpler than that. So, I called last night and ordered a number 6. I should point out that I am a creature of habit and as such tend to order the same thing each and every time I call...I think. Unfortunately, last night I had misplaced my menu and as such could not verify that a number 6 was really what I wanted (my heart was set on a hamburger and a poutine! Which I am fairly confident is a number 6). So, the young lady answers the phone and I say with the utmost confidence "Hi, I would like a number 6 please". To which she replied: "A number....6? Ok a number......6 it is". Took all the relevant information and hung up the phone. Moments later I began to worry. Why did she hesitate with the number 6? She sounded mighty uncertain. What in the world did I order? I THINK it was a hamburger and poutine but what if I ordered a salad or some such thing by mistake? What if right now some cook is looking at my order and fixing me not a hamburger but a salad! Oh the humanity! That would not hit the spot at all. So, after a few more minutes of doubt and worry (I KNOW I could have called the restaurant back and ask to confirm what the heck a number 6 actually was but that would have been admitting defeat! Dang it, I should KNOW what a number 6 is and I will not give them the satisfaction of admitting the little girl scared me!) I discovered there are certain steps that are followed in a situation such as this:
1) Doubt. (A number 6 is a hamburger right??? Sure it is...right???)
2) Denial (Bah! I've ordered from this place a hundred times. There's no way I made a mistake like that!)
3) Exaggeration (What if a number 6 is a salad? Or......some secret code that I accidentally stumbled upon? What if nobody EVER orders a number 6 and right now I have a drug shipment being shipped to my door? What if I just put money on an illegal dog fight or something? I could be on my way to jail any day now and all I wanted was a hamburger!!! What if it's a SALAD?!?!?!?
4) Resignation (Well I guess a salad wouldn't be SO bad. I mean I COULD stand to eat a little healthier. Maybe they taste better than they look.)
and finally:
5) Anticipation (Yeah! I'm getting a salad! I'm awesome! Taking steps towards a new healthier me! No greasy food for me! I should have done this YEARS ago!)
So, the doorbell rings and off I head, cash in hand to get myself that mysterious number 6. Open the door, take the package pay the man and come back inside. Tear open the brown paper bag and find................... a hamburger.
Strange thing is I was almost looking forward to that mysterious salad.
This has led to a brand new game for me now. I have completely given up on actually reading takeout menus anymore. All I do is find a restaurant that sells their takeout by number and I pick a number at random. There is something to be said for adding a little mystery to life.
So, what are YOU having for supper tonight?
Monday, February 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment